Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Summer Vacation!

Remember that feeling you'd get as a kid, as you heard the bell ring at the end of the last school day of the year?

Summer!

I had that feeling today. We took my mother to a retirement residence for "respite" care, yesterday (my "respite" to make it clear). Today, I woke up as if released from prison.

OK, maybe not quite prison, but close.

I felt younger, happier, less tense and just plain looking forward to life.

She put up a fight, a good one, I'll admit. She grew more solemn and morose and martyred as the date drew near. She could barely carry herself into the place, and summoned tears when we left her, after a round of hugs and well-wishes for the next 6 weeks.

But today, she called me. Her voice sounded like my mother of old. She'd eaten well, made friends, and most amazingly, could hear me clearly on the phone.

Prior to this, she simply couldn't hear anyone on the phone, and would defer all calls to me, including pesky calls involving tasks that involved a bit of work on her part, like renewing prescriptions.

Today, though, I spoke in normal tones and she never missed a word.

What a fake.

Anyway, I'm on holidays for the summer, out of prison on a "get out of jail free" card. And I'm going to make the most of it.

Excuse me now, I have a glass of wine to drink...

No comments:

Post a Comment