Thursday, September 6, 2012

When's It Gonna End?

In my last post, I complained about how much I had to do this week. It irritates me that so much on the "to do" list is not about me, my husband, or my children. I wonder how all of you out there feel about this issue?

Do you enjoy doing selfless acts? Do you volunteer your time for charities? Do you spend dozens, even hundreds, of hours every month helping your parents and/or in-laws?

Anyway, looking back on the list, I see that I've finished #s 2, 4, 7, and 9.

We have partially finished #s 1, 3, 8, and 10.

Numbers 5 and 6 still await. Gack.

I forgot to mention in my last post that the back door to Dori's house was kicked in when we arrived last weekend to begin cleaning. Didn't look like anything had been stolen, but then again, it's really hard to tell because of the insane clutter. I suspect it was either John, or one of his druggie friends, though he denied it to Anthony.

We left the place with a dining room chair propped against the door handle in a rather pathetic attempt to bar further entry.

Next week, I have my book club meeting, and I have absolutely no time to pick up the book and try to finish it. I haven't gone to a movie in years. The last trip I took anywhere, big or small, was over a year ago. Both Anthony and I gained weight over the summer (too much easy living!), but are struggling mightily to find time to exercise.

I recently listened to some women complaining that they are busy and that they don't have enough time for themselves. Boy, I know that feeling.

But these same gals had just announced they were taking the day off to go see a movie (one of them had already seen it but wanted to see it again) and fill the day with pleasant things they wanted to do. Hey, the kids are back in school, they said. This day is for us, and us alone. An entire day. I can't remember the last time I had an entire day to do what I wanted (except for our two weeks of family time this past summer, at a near-by rented cottage). 

One of these women seems to constantly go away for the weekend, every month or two, to "relax and recharge." She and her husband do this several times a year, little trips to Montreal for shopping and eating, etc, etc. The also take big trips to places like Paris.

One of them even complained just the other day that she needs to retrain, because she didn't like her old career. This posed no real problem for her, in that she could afford to retrain, was accepted into the program of her choosing, and had the liberty to take the time to do it. But she complained about it.

I find it hard to listen, sometimes.

On the other hand, I realize that I usually fill this blog with complaining!

I guess everyone feels like they have no time to themselves. It's all a matter of degree, and for example, even the women I mention above feel badly done-by, though in fact they are remarkably privileged. They just don't realize it, they've been so sheltered all their lives.

So my new (I should say renewed) goal is to complain less and recall just how privileged I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment