Tuesday, July 9, 2013

25

I just attended a 25-year reunion with one of my university graduating classes.

I had maintained friendships with several of those classmates, even though we have lived in different cities for pretty much the entire intervening 25 years.

Others, I hadn't seen since our last day of classes, 25 years ago. Some of them even live right here in Kookytown, and one is just a few blocks away!

It was very nice and interesting to see the attendees, and hear about their lives and experiences over the last two-and-a-half decades.

And it made me realize, once again, that it's important to not sweat the small stuff, and to even not necessarily sweat the somewhat-larger stuff.

The majority of the class have led adventurous, well-employed lives. Some have succeeded spectacularly in their careers, but not so well in their personal lives, and of course, others are in the opposite situation. The very lucky seemed to have lived charmed lives, seemingly succeeding at everything they attempted, and turning to gold everything they touched.

But those types are rare. Most of us have just done relatively well, more-or-less.

A few have faced serious health challenges and luckily surmounted them.

Like I say: the important thing is to maintain your health, and your happiness. The last part, I remain convinced, is by not sweating over every little detail, and just enjoying the journey that is life.

In the end, looking back over the last 25 years, all the worrying, planning and hoping I've subjected myself to could have been eliminated. I would have arrived here, almost right where I am today, I think, anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment